WHY DOES IT MATTER?
Colorectal cancer (CRC) kills! And CRC screening saves lives!
- 2nd leading cause of cancer death in US (per USPSTF)
- 53,000 deaths this year
- We can do better!
- 50-75yo: Screen for CRC starting at age 50yo (Grade A recommendation)
- 76-85yo: The decision to screen for CRC is an individual one (Grade C)
- gFOBT, FIT, FIT-DNA
- no bowel prep, non-invasive, done at home!
- Direct Visualization:
- Colonoscopy, Flexible sigmoidoscopy, CT colonography
- Less frequent, no contact with stool, providers frequently recommend
- Serology: SEPT9 DNA Test
- The common practice of universally recommending colonoscopy may reduce adherence to CRC screening, especially among racial/ethnic minorities
- A digital health intervention that allows patients to self-order tests can increase CRC screening
- Breast, cervical, colorectal cancer screening down 90% during COVID pandemic!
- CRC kills and we can help just by getting people screened
- Screen 50-75yo, and talk about it with your patients
- The best test is the test that gets completed!
- Give patients options, education and reminders
- Adapt to their needs (i.e. remind patients that pandemic-compatible screening options exist)
*Blog post based on Med-Peds Forum talk by Tamara Lhungay, PGY1